Sunday, April 23, 2006

Just a step away from chaos

Today, I really felt blessed when a new friend confided in me. Just to know that she trusted me enough to confess a dark secret really touched my heart. I’m glad that she felt comfortable and came forward to share a burden. Not only as a pastor’s wife but as a friend, I want to be a listening post for anyone. I always want others to be able to talk to me without feeling judged. Her sin was, by human standards, great compared to others but in the Lords eyes, it weighs the same as a little white lie. All our sins are worthy of death.

So, I’ve been meditating on this thought. All of us are only a step away from committing any crime, no matter how heinous. The human heart is desperately wicked and I believe any of us, if put in the right situation, will commit any crime. Stealing, adultery, murder…you name it. I don’t think we are immune. As a matter of fact, Jesus said that if you even look at someone lustfully, you have committed adultery. I would take this so far to even say that if you have hated someone, that you have committed a form of murder.

While this may be a little extreme, it does stop and make me realize that it’s only by God’s grace that I haven’t found myself in jail. Praise the Lord that regardless of the sin I commit he forgives me and still calls me his own. He says I am his Beloved.

No comments: